I think that for the end of term, I’m going to share a recipe I enjoyed baking with a friend that turned out most delicious!
Festive Almond Biscuits
- 75 g unsalted butter, chilled and chopped into pieces
- 115 g self raising flour
- 75 g ground almonds
- 100 g caster sugar
- 50 g marzipan
To make the orange sugar:
- pared rind of two oranges
- 50 g icing sugar
- Whizz butter with flour and almonds to breadcrumb consistency. Add 1/2 of the caster sugar. Whizz mixture again until it clings together and then work lightly into a ball.
- Thinly roll out the dough. Use festive biscuit cutters to make shapes, put 20 on battered baking sheet. Roll the marzipan into balls, lay on the dough shapes, and then top with matching dough shape. Seal edges and chill for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees (higher if not a fan oven). Bake the orange rind for 3 minutes, then cool. Mix the remaining caster sugar, icing sugar and orange rind together. Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes, cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle the orange sugar over the cookies.